- 1996 autstanding Young Iowan. Honored with this award by the lowa Jaycees.
- 1991 Christine Macintyre Memorial Award Recipient. Chosen to receive this honor by IDEA, an Association for Fitness Professionals, given annually to a fitness professional who has overcome a handicap or hardship to achieve and promote high fitness standards. Darla is a nationally certified instructor, teaching since 1988.
- Appeared in Shape Magazine. Darla was featured in the December 1991 issue af Shape Magazine. The article was wrillen by Shape publisher, Joe Weider.
- Film Festival Bronze Award Winner. The documentary, The Rebirth of Darla Hansen, was awarded the 1993 New York International Film Festival Bronze Awarc This video was produced by Image Films of Tampa, Florida for the Shriners of North America.
- Duet with Billie Jo Spears. Darla was selected from over 800 vocalists to record a duet with the ACM female vocalist of the year.
- Co-Author of her life story Darla, Faith Over Fire. Entertainer and songwriter.
- Mother of four children.
- Licensed physical therapist assistant fitness instructor and personal trainer working in a hospital and health club.
What People are Saying
- "Darla's triumph over pain, surgery and scars she will wear for the rest of her life is as valuable a lesson to us as it has been to her.. - Joe Weider, publiisher Shape, Woodland Hills, California
- "Darla is an inspiration, a classic motivator - she captivates her audience. Her singing makes her presentation totally unique - Darla is one of a kind.. - Mike Andrews, Director of Public Relations, Shriners Hospitals, Tampa, FL
- "Once in a great while you come across a voice that refuses to e silenced. This is a story of a courageous woman who's life is a love song dedicated to the power of faith, family and the will to survive.. - Josh Kaplan, KCBS- TV, Producer Special Projects, Los Angeles, CA
- "Darla told her story of pain and suffering, faith and succes. We were on the verge of tears, themaughing with joy then there were times when all were introspective and quiet. Each person who heard Darla's message felt the impact and! knew that they could find strength to overcome any adversity. Darla was motivational, inspirational, and emotional. I will invite her back to our academy for as many years as I can have her. She is great! - Ned L. Cox, Academy Director, West I-80 Leadership/ Sidney, IA